Introducing...the Kentish Goal Brothers!

By Ian Townsend

Cray and Thamesmead go goal mad and the lead changes at the top of the South Division

The news before kick off at Hayes Lane was that Cray Wanderers- already the highest scorers in England- had brought in a new striker, signing Junior Dadson from Harlow Town. By full time Junior must have been wondering whether he’d actually get a game, as his new teammates had seen off a shell-shocked Ashford Town- and gone top of the South Division- whilst scoring NINE goals!

Cray went ahead in the 3rd minute, when Charlie MacDonald- another recent signing, from Greenwich Borough- got his head to a free kick from Karl Dent (although some sources believe Dent scored the goal, so we’ll leave them to argue about that in the dressing room). Dent had a hand in the second, too, when another free kick was diverted in by Mitchell Nelson, and the player had a hat trick of assists (or perhaps two and a goal) when MacDonald made it three from his corner in the 22nd minute. Two minutes later and it was four, another Dent corner headed home by Jay Leader, and it was five before half time, Brandon Scott the new name on the scoresheet.

The second half was eight minutes old when Wanderers hit goal number six- a thirty five yard effort from Barney Williams- and the crowd only had to wait two more minutes before the vidiprinter announced 7 (SEVEN) as sub Ralique Lawrence headed home.

It was at this point that United first got a mention, Matt Day pulling back a goal that can’t really have been any consolation, before Ben Mundele and Lawrence once more rubbed salt firmly into the wound to make it 9 (NINE) and send Wanderers two point clear at the top of the division, just in time for Saturday and a clash of the titans against now second place Lewes.

It isn’t often that you score five goals and get overshadowed, but Thamesmead Town are in the unlucky position of playing bridesmaids this morning despite walloping the Green Lions of Guernsey by five goals to nil. In what the Mead media Team described as an ‘International Match’ Laurent Mindy put the home side ahead in the fifteenth minute, and despite Guernsey’s best efforts they’d conceded two more by half time- Paul Vines getting on the scoresheet eight minutes before the break, and Scott Finch making it three five minutes later.

It took until the 66th minute for the next goal to arrive, and it was Mendy who got his second and Town’s fourth. Joe Denny hit number five in the dying embers of the game, giving Guernsey nothing to look forward to but a miserable flight home.

Thamesmead move up to thirteenth.

In the North Division Romford’s fine recent run came to an end at home to Ware, the visitors taking the points with two first half goals from Daniel Olusemo and Marcus Miller. Ware move up to 21st in the table.

Where next?

Alexander to take charge of Nuts and Bolts Former Greenwich Borough boss to take charge of Ashford United next season
Are Billericay Town the best Step Three side in the country? It seems so- with Hamlet and Hendon not far behind!

Match centre

Latest photos

The Bostik Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.