Bowers win a five goal thriller, Romford narrow the gap, whilst Worthing and the Jammers depart the Trophy

By Ian Townsend

We had a reduced set of fixtures due to the after-effects of storm Kia-Ora, but those that went ahead provided plenty of drama. Here’s our round up.

Premier Division

It was only ten days since Bowers and Pitsea and Haringey Borough last met, but familiarity didn’t get in the way of the excitement at the Len Salmon last night, as Bowers ran out three-two victors.

Brad Warner gave the hosts an early lead from the spot, but they held it for only twelve minutes before another spot kick saw Borough equalise, Danilt Akindayini firing past Callum Chafer from twelve yards. It took until eight minutes after the break for the next goal to arrive, and once more it was Warner, firing home his nineteenth of the season- this time from open play- and it was three-one within ten minutes, an own goal giving the hosts a cushion. Two minutes from time Akindayini got his second of the match to narrow the gap, but the visitors couldn’t find an equaliser and the hosts moved above them into fourteenth place.

Elsewhere, a Surrey derby saw Leatherhead and Kingstonian play out a one-one draw at Fetcham Grove. Both goals came in a six minute period before the break, Gus Sow putting the K’s ahead in the thirty seventh minute, Jerry Nnamani equalising two minutes before half time. The Tanners remain ninth, the K’s eleventh.

Into the North Division, and the big game at the bottom of the table saw Romford move to within three points of safety with their second victory in a row. After defeating second bottom side Felixstowe and Walton United on Saturday, they welcomed Brentwood Town- third from bottom- to Parkside, and ran out three-two winners due to a late, late winner from Gabriel Adelowo.

Mekhi McLeod put the hosts ahead from the spot, but an own goal drew Town level ten minutes later. Louie Theophanous restored the lead in the twenty seventh minute, but it seemed as if the visitors had grabbed a point when Adam Topley equalised six minutes from time- but with only a minute left Adelowo sent the home fans wild. Town are four points ahead of Romford having played a game more, Felixstowe three points ahead having played five games more.

At the other end of the table, Tilbury moved up to fourth as they eased to victory over Grays Athletic. Both goals came midway through the first half, David Knight putting the Dockers ahead from the spot after twenty three minutes, Thomas Barton getting the second eight minutes later.

Basildon United put eight points between themselves and last place with a one-nil win at Great Wakering Rovers. Joseph Paxman got the goal eighteen minutes from time, as Rovers ended the match with nine men.

There was one match in the South Central Division, and it saw Westfield get back to winning ways with a comfortable three-nil victory over Staines Town. The Swans have announced eleven new signings over the last few days, but their new recruits didn’t help them much as Arsen Ujkaj, Max Blackmore and Aaron Watson lifted the hosts up into third place.

In the South East Division, fifth place Herne Bay needed two goals in the last ten minutes to take a point at Faversham Town. Bay took an early lead as Zak Ansah got his twenty fifth goal of the season, and they held it until the hour mark when Kelvin Ogboe equalised for the Lilywhites. One minute later and the same player had put Faversham ahead, and in the seventy eighth minute Ogboe got his hat trick from the spot- and must have assumed he’d clinched three points for his side. Bay had other ideas, and Simon Kabamba reduced the arrears with seven minutes remaining, before Keiron Campbell got the leveller in the very last minute.

East Grinstead Town must love playing Three Bridges. After picking up their first win of the season against their Sussex rivals on Saturday, they secured another point against them last night- and in doing so moved to within five points of second bottom Ramsgate, with a game in hand. Bridges, who are three points and one place further up the table, took the lead with an own goal after eleven minutes, but the Wasps were level after twenty five minutes, Stephen Smith with the goal, and eleven minutes after the break Daniel Thompson put them ahead. Curtis Gayler got the Bridges equaliser nine minutes from time.

In the Velocity Trophy something rather surprising happened. Worthing lost again! And then something even more surprising happened- Maldon & Tiptree lost too! Worthing were hosting Cheshunt, and took a lead into the break as Thomas Chalaye scored in the thirty sixth minute. The second half, however, belonged to the Ambers- Reece Beckles-Richards, Amadou Kassarate and Ashley Nzala with the goals which turned the match on its head and sent Cheshunt through. The Ambers must wish they could move to Sussex, as they’ve now played two matches in the county over the last few days and scored nine goals!

At Larges Lane Bracknell Town were hosting Maldon and Tiptree. Ninety minutes didn’t see either side manage a goal, so we were off to a penalty shotout, and the Robins won that by four goals to one.

Tonight we have one match in the Premier Division, as Lewes- under new management- host Hornchurch. The Rooks have only one home victory all season, and the Urchins will want to bounce back after defeat on Saturday.

In the Velocity Trophy Horsham entertain Burgess Hill Town.

Where next?

Sports bring in a Bee A second Hullbridge loan signing in two days
Bowers sign Bransgrove Walthamstow keeper signs on at the Len Salmon

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.