Long makes sure the Urchins remain a short distance from the title

By Ian Townsend

Wingate ruin the Hornchurch party, Towners win in Bognor, Billericay win late at Hamlet, Tags hit five, and Canvey return to winning ways

Hornchurch only needed three points to secure the title- but whilst they hold a thirteen point lead at the top the celebrations will have to wait, after Wingate and Finchley took a deserved two-one win at Bridge Avenue in front of a crowd of one thousand and fifty nine. It took only nine seconds for Elliot Long to put the visitors ahead, and they doubled the advantage early in the second half, again through Long, another fine finish. Ollie Muldoon got a late goal for the Urchins, and then got sent off, as the visitors climbed to fourth and opened up a five point gap between themselves and the sides in sixth, seventh and eighth- each of whom have played a game more. Read a full account of the game here.

That's one defeat in ten games for the North Londoners- now including wins over both of the top two.

Enfield Town remain third after victory at Bognor Regis Town, the Rocks play off ambitions looking to be over for another season. We had a first half packed with goals. Marcus Wyllie was the chief architect of the Towners victory with a hat trick in the first thirty eight minutes, taking his goal tally for the season up to twenty eight. He put the visitors ahead three times, on four, twenty and thirty eight minutes, the first two equalised by first Tommy-Lee Higgs and then Harvey Whyte. In the second half Sam Youngs added a fourth from the spot, and that was that. Seven hundred and ninety four watched on.

Billericay Town ended an eight match winless run and reignited their play off hopes- whilst damaging those of their hosts, Dulwich Hamlet. It looked as if a thirty seventh minute Danny Mills goal gad given Hamlet the points in front of two thousand, seven hundred and eighty seven at Champion Hill, only for Alfie Cerulli to level for the Blues four minutes from time- and Cerulli then delivered a stinging blow, scoring what proved to be a winner two minutes later. Hamlet, Billericay and Carshalton Athletic are all level on fifty eight points- three points behind fifth place Horsham with all three sides having played three games more, five points behind fourth place Wingate and Finchley having played one game more.

Hashtag United are eleventh after winning an eight goal thriller and surely condemning Kingstonian to relegation. The Tags went ahead at Imperial Fields on twenty nine minutes, Luke May-Parrott continuing his fine scoring run, and Max Cornhill quickly made it two. Jardel Francis-Adeyinka got a goal back for the K’s four minutes before half time, but the Tags made it three-one on fifty six minutes, Camilo Restrepo with the third, and a Greg Halford penalty made it four-one twelve minutes from time. The last few minutes saw three more goals. First Nasim Regragui pulled it back to four-two, and the same player then narrowed the gap to four-three, only for Cornhill to add a fifth for the Tags two minutes into added time.

The K’s are fifteen points from safety with only six games left, and survival would take a miracle.

Canvey Island got back to winning ways at Whitehawk, a goal in each half sealing victory. Jamie Salmon opened the scoring on twenty minutes, and the Hawks rearguard was punctured once more ten minutes after half time, Elliott Ronto securing victory.

Follow the Pitching In Isthmian League on Instagram. Head here or search for theisthmianleague on your app. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.

Where next?

A Hastings trio Nikolai Krokhin and Eliot Jenks are new at Hastings United- Sam Adams returns
Party- pooped! The Hornchurch celebration falls as flat as their performance as Wingate take the points

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.