Hastings leave it late- but now have a seven point lead

By Ian Townsend

Heath stage a fabulous comeback, the Millers hit four, whilst Sports shock the Brickies. It’s our Pitching In Isthmian South East round up.

Leaders Hastings United travelled to Whitstable Town, and for much of the match it looked as if they’d have to be content with a point. Six minutes from time, however, Kenny Pogue started a Po-go amongst the visiting fans by getting the winner- and there was more good news to come. That goal left United seven points clear at the top.

That seven point gap came about because closest rivals Ashford United let a two goal lead slip for the second Saturday in succession- only this time the outcome was much worse than last weekend’s draw with Lancing. The Nuts and Bolts hosted promotion rivals Haywards Heath Town, and made the breakthrough nine minutes before half time, Josh Wisson with his ninth of the season. Johan Ter Horst made it two with twenty five minutes remaining, only for Kieron Rowe to set up a thrilling climax by quickly halving the arrears. Just how thrilling we were soon to see, as Jordy Ndozid levelled six minutes later and then Tom Cadman gave Heath the lead, with twelve minutes left- and Sean Saunders men held out for what had seemed an unlikely three points. United are second, Heath fourth- and there are only two points between second and sixth. Heath celebration image courtesy of the club.

We had two very, very early goals as Hythe Town hosted promotion-chasing Cray Valley PM. The first went to the visitors, Denzel Gayle putting them ahead after just three minutes, but they were ahead for just one minute before Tyler Sterling equalised for the Cannons. Marcel Barrington restored the visitors lead on nineteen minutes- his fourteenth of the season and second against these opponents after he scored in the Millers four-nil victory back in October- but again the Cannons hit back, and were level at the break after Jacob Gilbert made it two-two. Again the Millers went ahead, Francis Babalola making it three-two in the sixty fifth minute, and Barrington made sure of the points with his side’s fourth just before the end. The Millers are third.

Ramsgate hoped to climb back into the top five with victory over Sevenoaks Town, but, initially at least, were the architects of their own downfall with an own goal after eighteen minutes. The equaliser wasn’t too long in coming, Jamie Coyle getting that ten minutes before the break, and the turnaround was complete when Tijan Jadama scored on sixty three minutes. The seven hundred and twenty six watching on had much to cheer, and their side end the day in fifth.

Corinthian and Herne Bay couldn’t manage a goal between them, a result which sees Bay drop out of the top five whilst their hosts are eleventh.

Bottom side Phoenix Sports saw Wale Odedoyin give them the lead eleven minutes before half time, but Sitingbourne’s number ten Ahmed Abdulla drew them level eight minutes after the restart, his eighth of the campaign. A red card for Harrison Pont made it difficult for the Brickies in the closing stages, and just how difficult was demonstrated when Josh Dorling popped up with a Sports winner right at the end. With only six points between Sports in last place and East Grinstead Town in seventeenth, no wonder they’re playing The Great Escape at the Mayplace Ground.

Chichester City’s Ryan Davidson scored after just six minutes as Chi hosted another Sussex side, Three Bridges. The next eighty four minutes had no more goals, and City are ninth, nine points clear of their visitors.

Burgess Hill Town welcomed just over four hundred to the More Than Tyres Stadium for a clash of the Greens, and the home Greens would have been delighted when Conrad Honore gave them the lead soon after the hour against VCD Athletic. Super Pat Harding made it two-nil a quarter of an hour before the end, his one hundred and thirtieth Hillians goal- and still he looks no older. We’re starting to think he must be a robot.

Lancing looked rather good in coming from two down to draw at Ashford United last weekend, and the Lancers shocked Sussex visitors Whitehawk when Lorenzo Lewis opened the scoring on the half hour. This time the comeback came from the Hawks, for whom Ollie Munt grabbed a point from the spot right at the end.

East Grinstead Town took the lead against Faversham Town with only nineteen minutes remaining, Aidan Brown opening the scoring. He closed the scoring too, as that turned out to be the only goal of the game- a result which saw the Wasps climb a place to seventeenth.

Follow the Pitching In Isthmian League on Instagram. Head here or search for theisthmianleague on your app. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.

Where next?

Permanent Boachie for the Scholars Potters Bar sign forward Joe- permanently this time
Can anyone stop the Robins? Another win, and still fourteen points the gap for Bracknell- and we already seem to have a six team playoff battle! Elsewhere, a big win for the Saints- and Northwood make it four consecutive away wins

Latest photos

7 photos
First Team 0809
20 photos
First Team 0809
Witney FA Cup
5 photos
Witney FA Cup

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.