We asked supporters of our Isthmian League clubs to preview the new season, reflect on the old and predict the final outcome. Their predicted 1-20 (or 22) will be worked into a final table which you will see just before the big kick off.
We’re back in the Pitching In Isthmian North Division, and we’re going to hear from Ben, who attends Witham Town’s award-winning Soccability Programme. He made a video of his answers so we only have them in brief, and you can see that Ben’s video on Town’s social media channels shortly.
1. How do you feel about the return of football?
2. The world has changed enormously since you were last able to watch a live football match. Will the pandemic change your approach to watching the game- will you attend as many matches as you used to, and spend as much time at the ground/in the clubhouse, etc?
3. Last season had many exciting moments before its premature end. What was your favourite moment?
When we beat Basildon United.
Basildon United were defeated twice in the League last season; a three-one win away from home last December, with two goals from Scott Kemp and one from Marcus Bowers, and then what looked to be an even more critical win in February, when Oliver Bell scored the only goal of the game seven minutes from the end as both clubs fought at the wrong end of the table.
4. And what was your worst moment?
When we lost to Canvey Island seven-one!
Little more than two weeks prior to that match second match with Basildon, Canvey Island turned out at the Simarco Stadium. It was one-each at half time, both goals coming in two minutes just before the break, but it went rather badly for the hosts in the second half as the Gulls hit six without reply.
5. How will you do this season?
Pretty good, but it depends what kind of form we’re in!
6. Which matches are you most looking forward to going to- and why?
All of them- because I just love football!
7. What is your favourite away ground?
I’ve only been to Witham’s ground to watch the first team and the reserves. I’ve not been to an away ground yet.
8. Who do you consider your biggest rivals- and why?
Heybridge Swifts. They are quite a good team and fast as well!
9. What advice would you give to any away supporter visiting you for the first time?
Just enjoy the match!
10. Who is your favourite player of all time (for your club)- and why?
Rhys Madden. Rhys is a goalkeeper who first played for Witham more than a decade ago, and managed a goal back in 2009, scoring against Leyton. He has also played for Ware, Bowers & Pitsea and Aveley.
11. Who will be in the top five at the end of the season?
Maldon & Tiptree, Aveley, Heybridge Swifts, Tilbury, Coggeshall Town.
Would you like to represent your club? Get in touch now and we'll send you the details. Email Ian on firstname.lastname@example.org.