Seed Growers march on, Leafe shock Casuals, and Sports avoid being Lanced!

By Ian Townsend

Cup Replay success, and disappointment, for our clubs last night.

After a 1-1 draw in the original tie at the weekend, Coggeshall Town travelled to Berkhampsted Town of Southern Division One Central last night with the odds perhaps stacked against them, but they came through with flying colours- even with ten men! Ross Wall put the away side ahead in the 6th minute, only for Berkhampsted to strike back a minute later, before disaster as Curtis Haynes-Brown picked up a second yellow card on the stroke of half-time. Wall narrowly missed a chance to put his side ahead once more shortly after the restart, but certainly took his next, and the ten men held onto that lead for more than half an hour to seal a tie against Walton Casuals- 3-0 winners over Beckenham Town- in the next round.

Whyteleafe and Corinthian Casuals couldn’t manage a goal between them on Saturday, but got three last night, the winner coming for Leafe in the 90th minute as Eddie Dsane scored his second of the game- and tenth of the season- to earn a 2-1 victory. Casuals goal came from Daniel Cunningham, and Leafe will travel to National League South St Albans City in the next round.

Lancing had already despatched Haywards Heath Town and Greenwich Borough before coming up against Phoenix Sports last weekend, and must have fancied themselves to win again in a home replay, but Sports had other ideas. A double from Jeff Duah-Kessie- the fourth time he’s notched two goals so far this season- was added to by Lewis Clarke and seals a trip to Hendon, who last night defeated Harlow Town 2-1 after extra time. JJ Da Cruz got a late equaliser for the Hawks, but in the end it wasn’t enough.

Marlow earned a trip to Kempston Rovers with a 2-1 extra time win over Aylesbury United, in a stormy match that saw a host of yellow cards and three reds right at the final whistle. Junaid Bell gave Marlow an early lead but Aylesbury drew level twelve minutes from time, before Marlow snatched victory with a Chris Ovenden penalty. Then right on the whistle, Jack Kerrigan and Kameron English received their marching orders for the home side, along with one of their opponents.

In a Bostik South East Cup derby Sevenoaks Town fell to Ramsgate. Jack Penny gave the Rams the lead and George Crimmen doubled the advantage, before Jack Miles cut the arrears for the home side. In the second half, however, Ramsgate sealed a trip to Gosport Borough with a goal from Aaron Millbank.

Chalfont St Peter travelled to Kempston Rovers, fell behind early on but then found themselves in the lead with half an hour to go, two goals in two minutes from Adam Kirby and Charlie Mitchell giving them the advantage. But Rovers hit back, and were then able to seal the tie in a penalty shoot out. Northwood fell 3-1 at Kings Langley, Miguel Lopes De Matos notching for Woods, whilst Cheshunt gave Leiston a real fright, a Ricky Sappleton double bringing the away side level before Glen Driver’s team found an extra gear and sealed a 4-2 win.

We also had two matches in the Velocity Trophy last night, Wingate and Finchley coming away from Mildenhall Town with a 2-1 victory, and Witham Town defeating Grays Athletic on penalties after the match ended goalless.

In tonight’s FA Cup Replays, Merstham travel to Cray Valley P.M., Horsham host Corinthian, and Lewes host Farnborough.

Leatherhead host Worthing in the Velocity Trophy.

Where next?

Bostik Blog: Witham win Spa Shootout! Bostik Blogger Louis Maughan heads to Spa Road, dodges security, and sees eight goals. Sadly they were all from the spot!
Travel update for Kent-bound fans this weekend- and those leaving the county M20 partial closure (and a rail problem for Enfield Town fans heading to Lewes)

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.