Sports and Hawks make headline news!

By Ian Townsend

Bedfont Sports and Whitehawk knock out National League South opponents, Invicta get seven, Chertsey are another giant killer, and we've news from across all of our Divisions. It's our comprehensive round up.

FA Cup

Marlow weren’t just unbeaten this season, they went into their tie at Abbey Rangers having not conceded a single, solitary goal. Not one. Six games in all competitions, eleven goals scored, not one ending up in their own net. They travelled to Abbey Rangers of the Combined Counties Premier, who are in third place and had won each of their home matches- but it was our South Central side who went ahead in this one, Nnamdi Nwachuku opening the scoring on thirty four minutes. They did themselves no favours, however, when Devontae Romeo saw red, but held on for victory nonetheless- indeed extending their lead as Curtis Chappie got a second right at the end.

We had a North Division Cup derby as AFC Sudbury and Stowmarket Town met. Both sides had been impressive so far, but neither managed a goal so they’ll need to do it all again in midweek.

Witham Town Under 8's

Witham Town Under 8's

Ashford Town, who defeated Tilbury in the last round, hosted unbeaten Folkestone Invicta- and the Pitching In Isthmian Premier side were ahead after only eight minutes, Scott Heard with the goal, and two up soon afterwards, Adam Yusuff from the spot. If they relaxed they were soon made to pay, as Dan Brown was an Angel for the hosts and a Demon for the visitors, pulling one back on twenty six minutes- but Invicta soon restored their two goal advantage, Alfie Paxman making it one-three. Again the Tangerines hit back, Matt Bunyan making it two-three four minutes before half time, but eight minutes after the break David Smith made it two-four and the Tangerines responded with a red card. Yusuff made it five nineteen minutes from time, Callum Davies got number six, and Yusuff had his hat trick and number seven six minutes from time.

Barking, who came through a marathon match against Aveley in midweek- winning the replay on penalties- hosted AFC Dunstable. The Pitching In Southern Division One Central visitors were also in good form, and went ahead in this match six minutes before the break before doubling their advantage seven minutes after the restart. They got number three, too, and although Andre Gumbs got one back two minutes from time that was the story of the blues.

Basingstoke Town have had a fine start to the campaign, unbeaten in all competitions until Portsmouth removed them from the Hampshire Senior Cup on penalties in midweek! They entertained Wimbourne Town- the Magpies second bottom of Pitching In Southern Premier South- and took an early lead as Mckoy Palmer scored after just seven minutes. Stoke had another just before the half hour, and as usual it was that man Conor Lynch, his eighth of the season so far- but the deficit was halved a few minutes later and the equaliser arrived four minutes before the break. The hosts let a two goal lead slip in their last league match, but they went back ahead in this one on sixty five minutes, Palmer with his second of the game, but again Wimbourne hit back to level. Then, right at the end, the visitors only went and snatched victory. Basingstoke are out.

Bishop’s Stortford hosted Bowers and Pitsea in a match between two of our improving Premier Division sides, and it was the visitors who made the breakthrough, Max Cornhill opening the scoring on twenty four minutes. After the break Jack Thomas saw red for the Blues, and the visitors took advantage, Michael Ademiluyi with the second fourteen minutes from time to ease through to the next round.

Hastings United travelled to take on Broadfields United. We watched the hosts take on South Park in a replay last week and they were rather impressive and absolutely deserved victory- but our South East title favourites got the best possible start, Ollie Black putting them ahead after only two minutes. Rico Clarke-Rowe was particularly impressive in that win at the Sparks, and we warned United to be careful of him- and he equalised for the hosts on fourteen minutes. He didn’t get the next one, but it did come to the home side, who went ahead ten minutes before the break, but Gary Elphick rescued United six minutes from time and then got the winner right at the end.

Burgess Hill Town had been magnificent in the Cup and far less so in the League- and will have hope that continued for just one more match as they hosted Dorking Wanderers- but it was the visitors who struck first, Luke Moore firing home on twenty minutes. They struck second, too, twenty seven minutes from time, and then got number three and four before the end to send Hill out.

Carshalton Athletic entertained Ebbsfleet United. The Robins have quite a few players who will remember their FA Cup run of 2019-20, when they reached the first round and despatched Dagenham and Redbridge along the way- and they started as if they wanted more of the same, Danny Bassett putting them ahead on seven minutes. Fleet equalised only five minutes later, and a late winner for the visitors put the Robins out.

Chertsey Town faced Chesham United, conquerors of fellow South Central side Uxbridge in the last round. The Curfews warmed up for this one by scoring six in midweek and hadn’t yet experienced defeat this season, and they started like they meant business, Andrew Crossley with his third of the season. They ended like they meant business too, slaying the giants and progressing to the next round.

Chichester City, who also scored six on Tuesday night, hosted Maidstone United- two steps higher. Chi were four games unbeaten and had scored fifteen goals in that run, but their visitors were on top form, six games unbeaten and second in National League South. After neither side managed a goal in the first half, United took the lead shortly after the restart, former Heybridge Swifts legend Joan Luque with the opening goal. Chi struck back immediately through Tyrone Madhani, but the next goal also came to the Stones, with twenty two minutes left. That spurred the visitors on, and they got a third with fourteen minutes remaining to seal victory.

Hythe Town had an even bigger task, as they travelled to face National League South leaders Dartford. The Darts went ahead on three minutes, but the Cannons fired back on twenty one when Alex Brown got an equaliser. Just before the half hour the hosts were once more ahead, and a few minutes later it was three one. Number four came in the seventy sixth minute- an own goal, to rub salt in the wounds, and the Darts had time for number five before the end.

Bedfont Sports travelled to visit our former favourites, Dulwich Hamlet, and shocked the crowd by taking the lead just after the half hour, Joe Jackson stepping out to score. That turned out to be the only goal of the game, and the Sports contingent amongst the one thousand, six hundred and five present had even more to celebrate at the end, as that was the only goal of the game. Congratulations to all at the club.

East Thurrock United welcomed another of our former clubs, Needham Market. The Rocks had only lost one of their last six, so were confident, and started in confident manner as Chiedozie Nwoso put them ahead on eleven minutes. The Marketmen struck back just after the break, and then went ahead seven minutes from time- but there was still time for Ben Wyss to equalise and earn a replay.

Enfield Town entertained Hadley. After a goalless first half the first goal of the second came very quickly, and it went to the visitors, four minutes after the restart. Mo Faal drew the hosts level sixteen minutes from time, and they’ll need to do it all again in midweek.

Great Wakering Rovers had a big task as they entertain Pitching In Southern Premier Central leaders Peterborough Sports, and it didn’t start well for the Essex side, as the visitors went ahead after nine minutes and doubled that on fourteen. Rovers didn’t lie down, and got one back four minutes before the break, Charlie Morris with the goal- and then equalised soon after the restart, Mitchell Gilbey with number two. Sports were ahead again from the spot on the hour, and made it four eight minutes later, before getting number five twelve minutes from time. Sam Carter made it three-five with six minutes remaining, and that was how it ended.

Hanwell Town hosted National League South side Eastbourne Borough, and held them for seventy four minutes before the visitors went ahead. The second also went to Borough, and that was that for the Geordies.

Cheshunt were off to Hitchin Town. The first half saw no goals, but the second half started with one for the Ambers, Zack Newton opening the scoring on forty eight minutes- and two minutes later the Ambers, and Newton, had two. The last time Cheshunt reached the Third Qualifying Round was 2006, but Ken Charles made sure they were in it once more with number three nine minutes from time.

Hornchurch entertained Walthamstow after only one defeat in five, and Sam Higgins scored his third of the week to put them ahead after eleven minutes- his ninth of the season. Jili Buyabu made it two in the thirty third minute, Liam Nash got number three nine minutes after the break, and although Walthamstow did get a late consolation, but there was still time for Charlie Ruff to make it four-one.

Kingstonian looked to bounce back from their first defeat of the season as they entertained Horsham. It took an hour for the first goal, and it came to the K’s, Jason Banton from the spot. Gary Charman became the record appearance holder for the Hornets- congratulations go to him- and he would have been happy when his side equalised through Tom Kavanagh with seven minutes left. They’ll need to do it again in midweek.

We had a Surrey derby at Fetcham Grove, as Leatherhead host Corinthian-Casuals. After a goalless first half we had…a goalless second half. They’ll be back in Tolworth on Tuesday.

We’d another Premier tie as Merstham entertained Margate, with both sides having lost in midweek. In the case of the Blues that was their first loss of the season, whilst the Moatsiders hadn’t been quite so consistent but had shown promise on occasions- and they showed more promise when Serge Makofo put them ahead on twenty one minutes. Margate struck back just before the break, Montel Agyemang with the equaliser, but the next goal went the way of the hosts, Tahjae Anderson just before the hour- and when Reyon Dillion followed that soon afterwards with number three it was surely game over. It certainly was when Dylan Adjei-Hersey got number four five minutes from time.

Phoenix Sports entertained Redhill, conquerors of Sevenoaks Town in the last round- a match where they were three-nil down at the break and somehow won four-three! Sports were facing ten men when Redhill saw red just before the break, but the visitors still had time before half time arrived to take the lead- they really don’t know when they’re beaten! Redhill made it two- and own goal- just before the hour, but Sports made it an exciting finish when Lekan Osideko got one back seven minutes from time. The excitement came at the other end, however, Redhill getting another to confirm another impressive victory.

Whitehawk travelled to Slough Town of the National League South, and fell behind after only five minutes. Could they respond? They could. Henry Muggeridge hit back very quickly for the Hawks, and then just before the break Javaun Splatt, a real bright spot in the Hawks indifferent start to the season, made it two. Could a shock be on the cards? It looked even more likely as James Fraser made it three on sixty eight minutes, and the Hawks faithful will have a very happy trip home from the Royal County.

Sutton Common Rovers hosted Jersey Bulls on the telly, and will need to play them again without the BBC as the match ended in a two-all draw. Bulls went two up as the first half moved towards a close, but Rovers immediately hit back through Ryan Dacres-Smith and then ten minutes into the second half earned a replay, Kyle Henry with the equaliser.

Finally, Wingate and Finchley, the first side to conquer Kingstonian in midweek, entertained Baldock Town, of the Spartan Southern Midlands League. The Blues were ahead on twenty three minutes through Darnell Goather-Braithwaite- his third of the season- and made sure seven minutes from time when Dominic Sadi got number two. There was still time for Ibrahim Meite to make it three, and that was that.

Pitching In Isthmian Premier

Brightlingsea Regent hosted Lewes. The Rooks were five league matches unbeaten coming into this one with Joe Taylor already on six goals for the campaign, but he didn’t manage another in the first half. Two of his team mates did, however, Ollie Tanner with the first and Taylor Maloney with the second, and the score at half time was nil-two. The Taylor show resumed just after the break when Joe made it three, and the other Taylor- Maloney- got his second of the match and the Rooks fourth right at the end to send his side up to second.

Potters Bar Town entertained Bognor Regis Town and new arrival Joseph Boachie got the only goal of the first forty five, putting the Scholars ahead just after the half hour. Boachie got the second goal of the match, too, eight minutes after the restart, but within seven minutes it was two-all as Nathan Odokonyero and Kayne Diedrick-Roberts brought the Rocks level.

Pitching In Isthmian North Division

Grays Athletic swept to the top of the table in midweek, and David Knight got his sixth goal of the season to put them ahead at Coggeshall Town seven minutes before half time. It looked as if Athletic would extend their lead at the top, but that man Sam Bantick stepped up to earn a point for the Seed Growers five minutes from time.

Dereham Town were looking to pounce on any Grays slip up, the Magpies two points behind and hosting Basildon United, but neither could manage a goal.

Witham Town hosted Bury Town. The hosts had confounded expectations so far, with only one league defeat, whilst the visitors were highly-fancied but had done the opposite, although they have been hit hard by injuries which have undoubtedly had an impact. Chinedu Osadebe opened the scoring for the hosts five minutes before the break, but there was time for Bury to draw level before the break, Max Maughn with the equaliser just before they all left for a half time orange. There was only one goal in the second half, and in came to the visitors, Cemal Ramadan doing Cemal Ramadan things and getting the winner just after the hour. The Witham Town Under 8's were still cheerful, though!

We only have two unbeaten sides, Barking- who are in cup action- and Canvey Island, who hosted a Hullbridge Sports side who travelled with only one point and five defeats from six matches so far this season. It looked a home banker, and when the Gulls opened the scoring with only five minutes to go- Harrison Chatting with the goal- their fans must have breathed a big sigh of relief; but it was short-term relief, as Joao de Carlos got the equaliser in added time.

Over at the Len Salmon Hashtag United hosted Felixstowe and Walton United. The Tags would have been cock-a-hoop (there’s an expression you don’t hear too often!) after walloping title favourites Maldon & Tiptree for their first win of the campaign, but their hoop would have drooped a little when Zak Brown put the Seasiders ahead after just six minutes, and fallen to the floor when Brown doubled the advantage eleven minutes from time. Felixstowe are up to fourth.

Aveley hosted managerless Heybridge Swifts- who saw Julian Dicks depart in midweek. Swifts had a terrible start to the campaign, with the entirely wrong kind of one hundred percent record- but they took the lead in this one, Lionel Ainsworth on half an hour making the breakthrough- and then went two up on sixty eight minutes, Andrew Fennell with the second. That woke the savage beast, and Alex Akrofi got one back with quarter of an hour left, before Manny Ogunrinde grabbed the equaliser right at the end.

Pitching In isthmian South Central

Bracknell Town and Uxbridge have had superb starts to the South Central season, and started the day first and second in the table, separated only by goal difference. The first half saw only one goal, Dave Tarpey with it ten minutes before half time, and that turned out to be the only goal of the game. The Robins are now three points clear.

Bracknell’s neighbours Binfield travelled to Chalfont St Peter. The Moles had lost only one of their last four- whilst the Saints, in contrast, hadn’t won since the opening day- and it wasn’t a surprise when Joe Gater made it one-nil to the visitors on thirty two minutes and Ollie Harris doubled the advantage from the spot on forty. Liam Tack made it three on seventy three, and the Moles climbed to fourth.

Staines Town looked in dire straits as we came into this match, but didn’t start like a side in trouble as Omar Watt gave them the lead and Reece Cave doubled their advantage- two up in fifteen minutes. IK Hill got one back for Westfield five minutes before the break, but in the second half Sheridan Campbell made it three for the Swans- their first win of the season.

Finally, South Park hosted Thatcham Town- only they didn’t, really, because the match was being played at Horsham whilst the Sparks go all 3G at Whitehall Lane. The Sparks were still searching for that first win, and went ahead six minutes before the break, Melford Simpson with the only goal of the half. The next goal was all-inportant, and it came to the hosts, Ibrahim Jalloh making sure of their first win of the campaign four minutes from time.

Pitching In Isthmian South East

At Hanbury Park two of our three unbeaten sides put their records on the line as Haywards Heath Town, in second, entertained leaders Ashford United- but they weren’t very accommodating early on as Jordan Clark put them ahead after only four minutes. Clark later got sent off, but by that point Sam Remfry had made it two-nil and Tariq Ossai had made it two-one, pulling one back for the Nuts and Bolts. The equaliser didn’t arrive, and Heath are back on top, whilst United slip to fifth.

Ramsgate were on the road, travelling to Sevenoaks Town. Oaks bounced back from a surprise cup loss and league defeat against Hastings United to wallop Phoenix Sports in midweek, whilst the Rams started unbeaten in the league and had scored at least two goals in every match so far this season- and they had another one very early on, Ashley Miller opening the scoring after only six minutes. On twenty minutes it was nil-two, Tijan Jadama with the second, and when Callum Peck made it three on the hour there was no way back for Oaks. Joshua Ayaji got number four- his seventh of the season- and Danny Lear number five as the Rams ran riot, climbing to second.

Herne Bay, strengthened by the arrival of Aaron Millbank from Whitstable Town, hosted Corinthian. Kieron Campbell got the only goal of the first half for Bay on thirty eight minutes, and that turned out to be the only goal as Bay climbed to third place.

Cray Valley PM lost an eight goal thriller in Sussex in midweek, but were back to try again as they headed to Crawley to take on Three Bridges. Denzel Gray put the Millers ahead in the eighteenth minute and they doubled their advantage just three minutes later, Hassan Ibrahiym with his third of the campaign. Denzel Gayle made it three ten minutes after the break, and although Ben Bacon immediately got one back that was that, the Millers moving to fourth.

East Grinstead, full of confidence after their five goal haul on Tuesday night, travelled to face a rather shellshocked Faversham Town side, the Lilywhites having lost their last three and conceded nine goals in the process. The Wasps got the only goal of the first half and they got it right before the break, Kie Douglas opening the scoring. The hosts equalised four minutes later, Harry Harding from the spot, and honours were shared.

Follow the Pitching In Isthmian League on Instagram. Head here or search for theisthmianleague on your app. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.

Where next?

Make it Snappy- 18th September 2021 Lots of photographers do phenomenal work promoting our clubs, so we thought we'd promote them in return. Here are some shots and some links from yesterday's matches.
It's Highlights time! We're going back to midweek, and setting you up for Saturday with some highlights- far better than any of that Premier League nonsense, and no expense spared special effects (which might look like fog)

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.