Tuesday's league and FA Trophy action

By Peter Butcher

HARLOW had to wait just two weeks for the chance to avenge a 4-0 home defeat by Brentwood in an FA Trophy replay. But the repeat fixture in Ryman North did not quite go according to plan for the Hawks: this time they lost 5-0!

Robbie Rees scored the only goal of the first half in the 15th minute and struck again six minutes after the break.

Alex Read made it 3-0 in the 72nd minute and added another ten minutes later before Abs Thompson wrapped it up. It was a welcome victory for Blues, who started the day in 20th place though they had played only three league games, four fewer than some of their rivals.

Thamesmead were one place above them, having also played only three times, and they too took the chance to move up te table, though in less flamboyant style. A 52nd-minute penalty by Ashley Probets was enough for three points at home to Soham.

Tilbury are up to second place after their 2-1 home win over Witham, who took the lead soon after half-time through Rob Whitnell. Joe Nightingill squared matters in the 74th minute and Joel Barnett, signed earlier in the day from Thurrock, won it with a penalty six minutes from the end.

Cheshunt drop to third after being held to a 2-2 home draw by Chatham, and they had to come from two down to collect their single point. Jean-Michel Sigere put Chats ahead on 18 minutes and Jack Pallen added another five minutes after the break. Courtney White pulled one back on 72 minutes and were handed the draw by Matt Newman’s own goal five minutes later.

Billy Holland scored three minutes into added time as Aveley snatched a 2-1 victory at Waltham Abbey, where the rest of the goalscoring action had come from an early exchange of penalties. James Peagram converted a second-minute spot-kick for the Abbotts and Shane Oakley replied in similar fashion in the eighth minute.

Folkestone are the new Ryman South leaders – but only just. Stuart King’s goal in the second minute of added time gave them a 1-1 draw at Ramsgate the point they needed to overtake Crawley Down, who had no game. Ramsgate had taken the lead through Curtis Robinson after 80 minutes of goalless stalemate but Folkestone hit back despite being left with ten men after the dismissal of Frankie Chappell.

Whitstable looked set to continue their revival but were stunned by a late comeback which swept visiting Faversham to a 3-2 victory. Stuart Vahid put the Oystermen ahead just before the interval and when Rob Gillman made it 2-0 in the 71st minute the points looked secure, especially as Faversham’s Jamie Maxted had been sent off. But James Peacock quickly pulled one back, Renford Tenyue levelled it in the 85th minute and before the hosts could recover Wayne Wilson grabbed the winner. Both sides finished with ten men after Scott Heard was sent off.

Chipstead enjoyed their second convincing home win in four days, netting three unanswered goals against Three Bridges. Ashley Lodge and Shane Graham put them 2-0 up inside 15 minutes, and Lodge added another midway through the second half as Chips climbed to third in the table.

There was to be no FA Trophy giant-killing at Hythe, where the bottom club in Ryman South were beaten 4-0 by Hampton, second in the Premier, in their first qualifying round replay.

Hythe had done well to earn a second chance but this time could find no answer to Hampton’s lethal Charlie Moone, who fired a hat-trick to take his season’s tally to nine. He opened his account just before the half-hour and completed his treble with two goals in the last 11 minutes. Malvin Kamara had made it 2-0 early in the second half.

Canvey had a late night at Wroxham and it was deep into extra time before they made their Premier status count. Danny Heale’s 34th-minute goal for the islanders was answered by Remy Gordon in the 75th minute as Wroxham were rewarded for a fine second-half display. But they had Gavin Lemmon sent off before 90 minutes were up and Ashley Miller struck in the 115th minute to give Canvey a 2-1 win.

Grays won by the same margin at Ashford (Middx). Jack West scored after 16 minutes and Jake Hall added another shortly before the break. It was enough, though Kofi Lockhart-Adams gave the Southern League side hope just after the hour.

Whitehawk saw off Bury in their all-Premier replay at East Brighton Park thanks to a single Lee Newman goal after 56 minute.

Where next?

Scholars frustrated after bright start POTTERS BAR doubled their lead in Ryman North tonight (Wednesday) but were left frustrated after taking only a single point from a 1-1 draw at Ilford.
Veteran bosses land awards TWO of the Ryman League’s most experienced managers were among the winners when the first Macron Awards of the season, covering August and September, were announced today.

Match centre

Senior Isthmian League - South Central
Senior Isthmian League - North

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.