Regent rock Regis, Worthing win at Whitehawk, and Hayes hold on to go five points clear

By Ian Townsend

Our round up of Tuesday night’s action

Brightlingsea Regent brought in two new forwards yesterday, but it was the old guard who saw them pick up their fourth victory in five games as they comprehensively despatched Bognor Regis Town at the Taydal. Bognor came into last night’s match also unbeaten in four games, but they were a long way from making it five, as goals from Harvey Hodd, Jordan Barnett and Billy Hunt lifted the home side to thirteenth place in the Premier Division- six points from the playoff positions. New signings Reuben Mudd and Billy Jones made an entrance in the second half.

Normal service seems to have been resumed at Worthing. A series of defeats had seen the Mackerel Men drop out of the top five, but seven points from nine has seen them climb to sixth- and they have enough matches in hand to climb significantly higher still. Their latest three points came at Whitehawk, but they had to work extremely hard for them.

New signing Jalen Jones gave them the lead just before the break, but a Jason Williams equaliser twelve minutes from time looked to have earned the Hawks a point. It wasn’t to be, as five minutes later Ollie Pearce restored the lead for Adam Hinshelwood’s men, ensuring the Worthing boss had a happy birthday.

In the South Central Division free-scoring Hayes and Yeading United had slowed down a little at the weekend, managing only two against Molesey- although still picking up three points. They again scored only two at Chipstead last night, as the home side fought them all the way, pulled a goal back, but were ultimately unsuccessful in their quest to be the first side to take a point from United since Marlow beat them in mid November. When Lee Barney put Hayes ahead in the fourth minute, and then Elliot Benyon made it two nineteen minutes later, those watching may have thought that the floodgates were about to open. Chipstead thought otherwise, however, and with new loan goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond between the sticks- the keeper has arrived from Premier Division Fulham- fought back, eventually getting a goal through Jacob Sewell eleven minutes from time.

They couldn’t find an equaliser, and United go five points clear at the top of the table- with two matches in hand over their rivals.

Westfield are now in sixth place, only one point off the playoffs- and last night a masterclass from Tinashe Nkoma gave them a 3-0 victory over Bedfont Sports. Nkoma grabbed a hat trick as the home side made it three wins from four.

The other game had only one goal in it, and it came two minutes into the second half as Chalfont St Peter took the points at Northwood. Adam Morris found the net, and lifted the Saints above their hosts into twelfth place.

We’ve one match tonight, a Quarter Final of the Reposs Women’s Cup at Longmead, where Tonbridge Angels face Enfield Town.

Match centre

Latest photos

Awards Night 2019
56 photos
Awards Night 2019
Middlesex FA Senior Charity Cup Final
67 photos
sussex senior cup 2019(4)
78 photos
sussex senior cup 2019(4)

The Bostik Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.