Goal crazy!

By Ian Townsend

We had goals galore! Phoenix Sports and Tilbury got seven, Kingstonian, Hanwell Town, Felixstowe & Walton United and Whitstable Town five, and even the draws tended to be high-scoring. Read all about it here.

Bishop's Stortford hosted Kingstonian at the R&D Advisors UK Stadium, and they got a goal apiece in the first half, former Hastings United man Daniel Ajakaiye with the opener on sixteen minutes before Mark Haines equalised eight minutes before the break. That didn’t really advertise what would happen after the break, when the visitors went goal crazy. Ajakaiye completed his hat trick to make it three-one, Jonathan Giles pulled one back for the Blues, and then Gus Sow- with his second in two- and Elliott Buchanan made it five-two. K's celebration image courtesy of the club.

Folkestone Invicta registered three goals in fifteen minutes to defeat title favourites Worthing last weekend, and got the opener at Corinthian-Casuals as they looked for six points from six, David Smith with it. It was almost ten years to the day since Casuals last defeated these opponents, and that record still stands, as there were no further goals and the visitors made it six points from six.

In our Rocks v Rocks derby East Thurrock United were two up with seven minutes of the first half remaining, an Own goal and Ben Wyss with them, but Bognor Regis Town pulled one back on the stroke of half time through Charlie Bell- and the same player levelled things on sixty four minutes. That was that, and just like in a game of Rocks, paper, scissors, Rock cancelled out Rock.

Kingstonian celebrate

Kingstonian celebrate

Enfield Town had a wonderful start to the campaign in a topsy-turvy match at Carshalton Athletic on Saturday, going ahead, falling behind and then roaring back to win four-two- and they went ahead in this one five minutes before the break, Percy Kiangebeni with the only goal of the first half against Brightlingsea Regent. The next goal came right at the end, and it again came to the hosts, Ebrima Sawaneh sending them top of the table.

Haringey Borough lost their last two against Horsham, but goals from Michael O’Donoghue and Alfred Bawling put them firmly in command at half time. Bawling got number three in the very last minute, and although there was time for Tom Kavanagh to pull a goal back that was that. The visitors saw two players sent off, veteran Gary Charman early on and Charlie Harris much later, which can’t have helped their cause.

Hornchurch hosted Cray Wanderers, and the two traded goals in the first half, Liam Nash putting the Urchins ahead with his fifth in three matches only for Jamie Yila to equalise with his second in two. The visitors then got what proved to be the winner, Ejiro Okosieme with the second, to make it six points from six for Wands.

Leatherhead hosted Wingate and Finchley, and quickly fell behind, Bilal Sayoud opening the scoring on only six minutes. Jedd Smith equalised for the hosts nine minutes after the break, only for Sam Hatton to break home hearts and send the green army home miserable. The Blue army will have been only too happy, however, as Wingate and Finchley left with the points.

Binfield at Harefield Utd- Neil Graham

Binfield at Harefield Utd- Neil Graham

The last time Lewes hosted Cheshunt the visitors won by an incredible six goals to one, but this is an entirely different Rooks side and the first half remained goalless. Seven hundred and thirty one turned out to watch, most supporting the home side, and they saw the hosts go ahead twice after the break. Razzaq Coleman De-Graft opened the scoring, and after Ken Charles equalised for the Ambers Joe Taylor got his first Rooks goal seven minutes from time. Could Cheshunt equalise? They could, Reece Beckles Richards earning a share of the points two minutes from time. Lewes ended the match with ten men, Tom Carlse leaving the action just before the end.

Margate and Carshalton Athletic couldn’t manage a goal in the first half at Hartsdown Park, and they couldn’t manage one after the break either, leaving with a point each.

Merstham welcomed Potters Bar Town, who had won the last three meetings between the sides, but the home faithful were given hope that it wouldn’t be four in a row after Chace Jacquart put them ahead after twenty eight minutes. That hope was fulfilled, as that was the only goal of the game.

Title favourites Worthing surprisingly fell to defeat on the Kent coast last weekend, and got an early goal through Ollie Pearce, only for Bradley Sach to quickly fire back for Bowers and Pitsea, his third in two matches. After the break, however, the Mackerel Men found their shooting boots, Aaran Racine, Pearce and Thomas Chalaye making it four one and delighting the one thousand, one hundred and forty eight watching on. Max Cornhill saw red for the visitors.

FA Cup

Ashford Town (Middx) hosted Knaphill, former home of Tangerines manager Luke Tuffs, and it was the visitors who made the breakthrough soon after the half time break. The Tangerines equalised from the spot, Jack French with the goal after fifty four minutes, but they’ll need to do it all again in midweek.

Combined Counties club Badshot Lee, hosted Corinthian. The home side had defeated Camberley Town and demolished Molesey seven-nil during the last week, and defeated East Preston in the last round, so Corinthian must have expected to have to work hard- and so it proved as they fell behind early on. The equaliser came just before the break, Oscar Housego with it, and Louie Clark gave them the lead soon after the break- but the hosts were almost immediately level. Housego made it three-two to Corinthian with twenty two minutes to go, but could they hold on? They could do better, Charles Edmundson made it four right at the end.

Barking hosted a local derby, Ilford the visitors- and they made them far too welcome early on, as the visitors were soon ahead. Charlie Heatley got the equaliser on twenty five minutes, but a red card for Jay Leader left the Blues down to ten men, and Ilford took advantage, going ahead on fifty seven minutes and extending their lead on eighty three. Charlie MacDonald got one back for the ten men with four minutes remaining- could they?

Basildon United walloped Stansted in the last round- would White Ensign go the same way? Not quite, but the outcome was the same, Nathan Fuma with the only goal.

Basingstoke Town started their Pitching In Isthmian life with a win over Binfield last weekend, whilst opponents AFC Totton, of Pitching In Southern League Division One South, have six points out of six with two one-nil victories. The two last met in the League in October of last year, AFC Totton leaving with a three-two victory- and it was the visitors who made the breakthrough in this one, seven minutes after the break and from the spot. The next goal also came from twelve yards, but this one went to Town, Conor Lynch with the equaliser, and the same player scored the third penalty of the match seven minutes from time to seal the win.

Bearsted defeated Banstead Athletic two-one in midweek to earn a tie against Burgess Hill Town, but it was our Hillians who got their noses in front just before the break, Daniel Uchechi with the goal. Reggie Ward made it two for the visitors soon after the break, and when Harry Pollard made it three it was game over.

Beckenham Town, who defeated Colliers Wood United in the last round and walloped Farnham Town four-nil in midweek, hosted our Pitching In Isthmian South East title favourites Hastings United. The visitors were ahead midway through the first half, Sam Hasler opening the scoring, and after the break Tom Chalmers made it two and Freddie Legg got number three to seal a comfortable win.

Bedfont Sports hosted Herne Bay in what looked a well-matched all-Isthmian tie, but you might have suggested otherwise when Sports opened the scoring in the very first minute through Jordan Espirit. Adem Ramadan, however, got the visitors level after thirty four minutes, continuing his good start to the season, only for Darryl Sanders to restore Sports advantage soon afterwards. Kevin Diomande made it three-one soon after the restart, and that was that, the result a fine home victory.

Bracknell Town were supposedly at home against Bashley but were playing in Bashley, but it didn’t seem to matter as Dave Tarpey put them ahead five minutes before half time. That was the only goal of the game, and the Robins march on.

Brentwood Town hosted Leighton Town at the Arena, the visitors of the Spartan South Midlands League, and were ahead when Daniel Ogunleye opened the scoring ten minutes before the break. That turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Canvey Island, looking to emulate last season’s cup run, welcomed our old friends Waltham Abbey- and it was the Abbotts who took the lead midway through the first half. The Gulls equalised just after the hour, Evans Kouassi scoring for the second weekend in succession, and another former Heybridge Swifts Playoff winner, Matt price, got the winner just before the end.

Ashford United travelled to in-form Chatham Town of the SCEFL, but it was the Nuts and Bolts in-form striker Tommie Fagg opened the scoring from the spot after twenty minutes. The hosts drew level with sixteen minutes to go, and a replay is in order.

Chichester City were quickly ahead at Winchester City, Scott Jones opening the scoring in the second minute, and doubled the advantage soon afterwards through Ethan Pritchard. The hosts pulled one back sixteen minutes before time, but Gicu Iordache restored the two goal lead with seven minutes to go and the visitors held on to ensure a place in Monday’s draw.

South Central Chipstead hosted South East Faversham Town, and it took eighty four minutes for a goal. It came to the Chips, through Chris Boulter, and they then went goal mad, Karn Miller-Neave and Kieran Lavery getting numbers two and three.

AFC Sudbury headed to the end of the Piccadilly Line to take on Cockfosters, who had won two, drawn two and lost one of their five Essex Senior League fixtures so far. Our Yellows were quickly ahead, Dan Gilchrist after only four minutes, but pegged back midway through the half as Fosters equalised. Parity didn’t last long, George Keys restoring the Sudbury lead, and that was how it ended as the yellows marched on.

Dereham Town were looking to kick on from their excellent start to the season as they travelled to Cogenhoe United of the United Counties League Premier South, and the Magpies got the lead when Shaun Bammant opened the scoring seven minutes from half time. Rhys Logan got a late second to seal victory.

Coggeshall Town hosted Berkhamsted, leaders of Pitching In Southern League Division One Central, who had won both their matches so far this season scoring eight goals without reply- and they had a ninth six minutes before the break. That was that, and the Seed Growers go out.

Bury Town travelled to Fakenham Town, newly promoted to the Thurlow Nunn Premier. It took sixty seven minutes for a goal, and it came to Bury, Cemal Ramadan with the opener, and that turned out to be that.

Felixstowe & Walton United hosted Southend Manor of the Essex Senior League, and were ahead on thirteen minutes through Billy Holland, then two up on twenty five, Henry Barley doubling their advantage. The lead was halved just before the half hour, but Holland made it three-one just after the hour, Ollie Canfer made it four, but the visitors weren’t done and quickly pulled two back to leave the Seasiders holding on- but a fifth, from Miles Powell, eased any nerves.

Great Wakering Rovers hosted Heybridge Swifts in an all-Pitching In Isthmian North encounter with both looking to bounce back from opening day defeats. Rovers made an early breakthrough, Martin Tuohy breaking the deadlock, and doubled their lead through Mitchell Gilbey on twenty six minutes. Alex Teniola quickly pulled one back, but six minutes from time George Cox made it three-one to confirm victory.

Hanwell Town hosted Athletic Newham of the Essex Senior League, and took a very early lead through Jack Hutchinson. Athletic lost six-three to Takeley in midweek, and they were two down midweek through the first half as Jack Beadle doubled the Geordie advantage. Calum Duffy made it three just after the half hour, Halim Bangura made it four on sixty two minutes, Brendan Matthew got number five, and that was that.

Binfield travelled to Harefield United of the Spartan South Midlands League, and after the first half ended goalless the two goals in five minutes made it one-one, Josh Helmore with the Moles equaliser. In the last minute, sadly, with a replay pending, the hosts grabbed a winner. Image from Neil Graham- see more here.

Ramsgate headed to Hollands & Blair, who had made a slow start to their SCEFL campaign but who weren’t slow here, taking the lead in the first minute. The Rams struck back from the spot on sixty five minutes, Jordan Chiedozie with the equaliser, and then went ahead nine minutes from time, Joshua Ajayi. They held on, and will look forward to the draw on Monday.

Hythe Town welcomed Westfield in another all-Isthmian bash, the hosts looking for a first victory whilst the visitors walloped Tooting & Mitcham Utd three-nil last weekend. The Cannons fired home first, Frannie Collin with the opener on twenty five minutes, and they fired home second too, Kane Phillip doubling their advantage. The visitors made things tricky with a goal near the end, Afo Soyemi-Owlade with it, and tricky it proved, as they grabbed a late equaliser through Kai Davis. IK Hill then, amazingly, put Westfield ahead, but there was still time for Town to equalise through Eli Benoit. Three goals timed at ninety minutes, and a replay in Woking.

We had an all South East and all Sussex bash at Culver Road where Lancing hosted Haywards Heath Town, with the two having dramatically different results on the opening weekend. It was more of the same when Heath took the lead through Jerson Dos Santos, who scored from the spot on twenty six minutes, and the same player doubled the advantage soon afterwards. Josh Clack ended the contest with number three on seventy eight minutes, and there was still time for Jordan Clark to make it four. Our headline image, from this match, comes from the lens of Kyle Hemsley- see more from him here.

Chertsey Town travelled to Lingfield- although they didn’t, because Lingfield are playing at Church Road, former home of our lamented Whyteleafe. The Curfews were ahead on ten minutes through Andrew Crossley, and doubled the advantage through Tony Halsey nine minutes after the restart only for the hosts to pull one back almost immediately. It was three-one to the Curfews as Mark Bitmead found the net, and Halsey got his second to seal a four-one win.

Longlevens hosted Chalfont St Peter, and the Saints were soon marching in, Alex Cathline putting them ahead, but the equaliser came ten minutes before the break and the hosts went ahead seven minutes after the restart. Shamal Edwards got the equaliser after fifty six minutes, but a late home goal sent the Saints out.

We had an early clash of the North Division promotion heavyweights as Maldon & Tiptree hosted Aveley, and it was the visitors who made the breakthrough just before the break, Alex Akrofi finding the Jammers net. That was the only goal of the game, and the Jammers chance of another Cup run came to an early end.

Marlow hosted the actual FA Cup in midweek and today hosted Slimbridge, fifteenth in Southern League South. The hosts went ahead just after the half hour, goal machine Nnamdi Nwachuku opening the scoring, and looked comfortable when Junaid Bell doubled the advantage just before the break. They were able to relax when Isaac Olorunfemi made it three, and saw the game out untroubled.

Thatcham Town travelled to Thame United and fell behind early on, then went two down six minutes before the break. That was that, and Town go out.

Tilbury were looking to bounce back from opening day misery as they travelled to North Greenford United of Combined Counties Premier North, and made a good start, Ola Ogunwamide putting them ahead after only four minutes. Brian Moses doubled the advantage just a minute later, and on eleven minutes it was three, Lewis Smith scoring as the Dockers threatened to run riot. It was four on sixteen minutes, Lee Burns with the next one, but it took half an hour for number five, Josh Osude with that one. Smith got number six on the hour mark, and Ogunwamide topped a tailed the scoring with number seven.

Northwood hosted Burnham, undefeated in Combined Counties Premier North (although having only played twice). The Woods broke the deadlock through Shakeel Morris, but the visitors got an equaliser nineteen minutes from time to earn a replay.

Phoenix Sports welcomed Punjab United, who had lost their last three matches in the SCEFL and sit fourteenth. Sports took an early lead through Jeff Duah-Kessie, and the same player doubled their advantage midway through the first half. It was three before the break, Kweku Ansah with this one, and four soon after it, Lekan Ojideko with the next. Ojideko also got number five, and number six- his hat trick- came on the hour, before the fight over the match ball was triggered after Duah-Kessie got number seven for a second hat trick in the match.

VCD Athletic travelled to Raynes Park Vale, who had played three matches before today, scoring ten goals and conceding none- and when they conceded one early on they managed to score it, an own goal putting Athletic ahead. The equaliser was also an own goal, before the hosts forced their way ahead just after the half hour. Athletic struck back through Sonny Black just after the hour, making it two-two, and then went ahead through Ayman El-Mogharbei with fourteen minutes remaining and held on for victory.

Sevenoaks Town got the first goal of the afternoon as they hosted SCEFL side Erith Town, Stefan Wright scoring in the very first minute, but were pegged back just before the half hour. It looked like they were on the way out when Erith got a last minute goal, but Louis Collins just had time to get an equaliser.

Sittingbourne looked to follow up their fabulous opening day win against Lancing as they welcomed another Sussex side, Littlehampton Town, to Woodstock Park. Town had won four of their five matches so far this season, and scored twenty three goals in the process, and got number twenty four to go ahead just after the break. Number twenty five came on sixty five minutes, and at two-nil down what could the Brickies do? They could make a game of it, Johan Caney-Bryan pulling one back almost immediately- and then the same player pulled them level with nineteen minutes left to earn a replay.

South Park hosted Three Bridges in another all-Isthmian tie, and man mountain Melford Simpson gave them an early lead. Just before the break Ibrahim Jalloh was the next bright Spark, making it two, but Bridges hit back quickly after the restart, Mahanadou Jawara halving the deficit- and then equalised eight minutes from time, Ben Aubrey with that. Aubrey then sent the visitors into rapture four minutes from time, only for the Sparks to make it three-three through Kevin Riviera and send the match to a replay. Sparks will think they should have won, but undoubtedly Bridges will feel the same.

Sutton Common Rovers travel to Steyning Town Community of the SCFL, and the two will meet again in midweek as neither could score.

Stowmarket Town hosted Witham Town in an all-Isthmian North clash, and the opener went to the hosts, Evan Collard with it seven minutes before the break- and there was still time for a second before the half time oranges, George Bugg doubling the advantage. Joe Jefford made the game safe with the third after fifty three minutes, and Jack Ainsley made it four just before the end.

Uxbridge hosted Cray Valley PM, who were hoping to repeat last season’s FA Cup heroics, but it was the Red Army cheering when Tony Mendy opened the scoring after sixteen minutes. That was that, so the Millers fans will have to rely on their memories whilst Uxbridge march on.

Hullbridge Sports were hoping to bounce back from opening day defeat as they travelled to Walthamstow- but their hosts had won every match so far this season, scoring sixteen goals- and it was seventeen as they took the lead from the spot midway through the first half. Number two/eighteen came with eighteen minutes remaining, and that was that, as Sports departed the competition.

Ware, our old favourites who these days are in the Southern League, hosted new favourites Hashtag United- and opened the scoring ten minutes from time. That was the only goal, and Hashtag are out.

Whitstable Town welcomed Alfold, conquerors of East Grinstead Town in the last round and currently in fourth place in the SCFL, and tried to make sure they wouldn’t also be conquered as Harry Stannard put them ahead after seven minutes. Defeat looked even less likely when Tom Mills made it two, and right after the break Stannard got two more to make it four and claim his hat trick. Aaron Milbank got number five with thirteen minutes remaining, and the Oyster Boys marched on.

Follow the Pitching In Isthmian League on Instagram. Head here or search for theisthmianleague on your app. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.

Where next?

Sunday football Two of our sides have away Cup matches this afternoon. Head along and watch.
Salmon, caught Leatherhead's Will signs on once more

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.