Uxbridge deliver a giant massacre, whilst Felixstowe and the Geordies also slay big boys

By Ian Townsend

Elsewhere, Horsham and Canvey hit six, whilst Sudbury and South Park get five. It’s our round up of today’s action from across the Pitching In Isthmian League- and the FA Trophy

Buildbase FA Trophy First Round

Biggleswade Town was the location for Enfield Town, and the Towners went ahead midway through the virst half, Lyle Della-Verde with his fourth goal in four matches. The hosts were level before the break, but the next goal also went to Della-Verde and this time the Towners held on.

Binfield entertained Cinderford Town, and the Moles took only two minutes to take the lead, Sean Moore with the opening goal. The same player made it two just before the half hour, and right at the end Callum Bunting made it three as the Moles progressed.

Bishop's Stortford left it late in the first half to take the lead against Chipstead, and then got another almost immediately, Darren Foxley and Johnathan Giles on thirty eight and forty five minutes. Kieran Lavery got one back for the Chips right at the end, but the Blues held on.

Bracknell Town and Tiverton Town shared a goalless first half, but the breakthrough came soon into the second, and it went to the Southern Premier South visitors. Tiverton were soon two up, and although Seb Bowerman got one back for the Robins another goal for the visitors made sure.

Brentwood Town welcomed both Sir Trevor Brooking and Staines Town, but were far more welcoming to the former than the latter, Connor Hogan putting them ahead after just six minutes. The Swans got back level on twenty five minutes through Noah Amissah, but the Blues regained their lead with fifteen minutes remaining, Tom Richardson with his tenth of the campaign. Richardson got another right at the end, and there was still time for Rob Harvey to make it four-one.

Canvey Island, with their caretaker managers now permanent, entertained Yaxley- and they were quickly entertaining, Matthew Price and Connor Hubble having them two up after just eleven minutes. Price had another midway through the first half, rather incredibly his seventeenth of the season, and by half time Evans Kouassi had added another to make it four. Harrison Chatting made it five-nil with sixteen minutes left, Callum Fitzer made it six nine minutes from time, and the Gulls eased to victory, as usual.

Mo Camara gave Cheshunt the lead against Berkhamsted just before the break, but was then dismissed soon after it, making life difficult for his team mates- but they held on for victory.

Cray Wanderers and Bedfont Sports didn’t manage a goal in the first half at Hayes Lane, but the breakthrough did arrive eleven minutes from time, the goal going to Wands Adam Coombes- and soon we had another, this one to Joe Jackson for Sports. There was still time for another goal, and for once the late show didn’t belong to Sports, Adam Coombes getting the winner for Cray.

Felixstowe & Walton United seemingly had a difficult task against Peterborough Sports, top of Pitching In Southern Premier Central, and so it looked as the visitors went ahead on five minutes- but the Seasiders were soon level through Henry Barley and five minutes after the break were ahead, Zak Brown getting number two. They held on for a famous victory.

Folkestone Invicta were quickly ahead against Faversham Town, Kieron McCann taking just six minutes to put them in front, and David Smith made it two- his twelfth of the season- just before the break, only for the Lilywhites to hit back immediately through Eddie Allsopp. That was that, and the hosts go through.

Hanwell Town knew they’d need to slay a giant as Wingate & Finchley arrived at the Powerday, but they’ve been in good form and started very well, Harry Rush making the breakthrough after just three minutes. That turned out to be the only goal, the Geordies going through.

Hayes & Yeading United, perhaps the best side in the Southern League, hosted Worthing- currently the best side in our ranks- and it was the Mackerel Men who made the breakthrough, Aarran Racine breaking the deadlock just before the break at the Skyex. The next goal also went to Adam Hinshelwood’s side, to Dayshonne Golding six minutes after half time- and the third went the same way, Dean Cox opening up a rather large gap which was never narrowed.

Marlow have hit what looks, by their early season standards, a bit of a sticky patch. Larkhall Athletic looked to capitalise and went ahead on ten minutes, but the hosts were quickly level and then ahead, Nnamdi Nwachuku with both goals. Right at the end Athletic grabbed an equaliser, and off we went to penalties, and sadly Marlow didn't quite manage to win a shootout that went on forever and a day.

Needham Market went ahead against Margate just after the half hour, and soon doubled that advantage to see them go in two-nil ahead at the break. Vance Bola got one back for Gate just after the hour, and then the player who won the award for the best goal of the last round got another, Ben Greenhalgh with the equaliser. The next goal was crucial, and sadly it went to the Marketmen right at the end.

Royston Town entertained our very own Kingstonian, and the K’s went ahead on twenty three minutes, Gus Sow scoring his eleventh of the season- NINE of which have come from the spot, including this one. The equaliser arrived four minutes after the break, and that was the last goal of the match- but the K’s triumphed from the shootout.

Uxbridge went behind at Walton Casuals just before the half hour, but were quickly level against their Southern Premier opponents as Ezra Ndukuba got the equaliser. Mahlondo Martin then put them ahead, only for Casuals to equalise- but by half time Uxbridge led once more, Ndukuba with his second of the match- and then got a fourth on sixty six minutes, Juwon Akintunde firing home from the spot. The same player then made it five for the visitors, Martin got number six, and Uxbridge didn’t just slay a giant, they committed a massacre.

Carshalton Athletic have been scoring for fun of late, and were quickly in front at Welwyn Garden City, Jordan Cheadle scoring after just seven minutes. The equaliser arrived on twenty one minutes, and a red card for Daniel Bennett for the Robins made things even more difficult, City taking advantage to go ahead fifteen minutes from time and take the victory.

Bedford Town versus Potters Bar Town was apparently abandoned right at the end with the Scholars one up, a Ben Ward-Cochrane goal. We know no more at this point.

Pitching In Isthmian Premier

Because of the FA Trophy, we had only three matches in the Pitching In Isthmian Premier, and most of the interest was at the bottom of the table.

Managerless Brightlingsea Regent, after seven straight defeats in all competitions, hosted a Horsham side who, aside from their FA Cup success, have had a terrible season- without a league win since the last Saturday in August. The Hornets started the day four points behind their hosts, but they were soon ahead in this one, Rob O’Toole with the opener on eighteen minutes, and doubled their advantage through Shamir Fenelon- before the same player made it three-nil eleven minutes before the break.

Fenelon had his hat trick two minutes after the restart, and thirteen minutes from time Lucas Rodrigues made it five. There was still time for another, Danny Dudley getting number six just before the end. Horsham climb a place, and did their goal difference a power of good.

Just above Horsham at the start of the day sat Leatherhead, the Tanners looking much improved in recent weeks but desperately looking for some points to go with that improvement- although the four points they’d taken from their last four matches was far more than they’d managed from a much larger number of matches prior to that. They hosted Corinthian-Casuals, who had won two of their last three and seem to have staved off any FA Cup hangover- and the visitors got ahead in this one just before the break, Alfie Bender breaking the deadlock for the visitors. The next goal also went to Casuals, and it went to Kieron Cadogan, who scored from the spot eighteen minutes from time lifting the visitors to thirteenth. Leatherhead hit bottom again.

Lewes lost to East Thurrock United last time out, but nobody was panicking at the Dripping Pan despite the fact they’d only won one of their last five. Visitors Haringey Borough might have been a little more panic-stricken, as they hadn’t managed a win from any of their last nine across all competitions, but they went ahead in this one, Ade Cole on sixteen minutes. The Rooks bounced back immediately, Tom Carlse with the equaliser, and then saw Ollie Tanner put them ahead with his eighth of the season. Just after the break Joe Taylor’s fourteenth of the campaign made it three-one, and although an own goal gave Borough hope, Tanner immediately restored the two goal home advantage to the delight of most of the seven hundred and seventeen in attendance. The Rooks climb to third.

Pitching In Isthmian North Division

Coggeshall Town have had an up and down sort of season, but seemed to be on the up when Jamal Balogun scored on his debut, against Aveley. The Millers hit back, however, and had turned things around by the break, Ryan Scott and then Alex Akrofi putting them ahead. The next goal was critical, and it came to the Seed Growers, Ross Wall levelling nine minutes after the restart, and goal number five went to Jermain Francis for the hosts eleven minutes from time. A red card for Dean Ager then gave the visitors hope, but it was the ten men that found the next- and final- goal, Jermain Francis making it four-two.

Maldon & Tiptree have looked to be approaching their best once more in recent weeks, and they got the first North Division goal of the day at Dereham Town. It went to Frankie Terry after just six minutes, and they’d doubled their advantage by the twenty sixth minute, Bryan Ifeanyi scoring from the spot. Seven minutes after the break Bradley McClenaghan made it three, and finally the Magpies woke up, David Hinton quickly getting one back. Adam Hipperson made things rather interesting, pulling it back to two-three from the spot with twenty five minutes left, and even more interesting when equalising two minutes later. That was that, and the Magpies climb to second.

Grays Athletic looked to take advantage of Canvey Island’s Trophy absence to close the gap at the top, but it was visitors Stowmarket Town who took the initiative, Luke Brown with his second in three. No equaliser arrived, and Joe Jefford made it two-nil five minutes from time to send Town up to fifth.

Great Wakering Rovers have looked much improved of late, and were three goals up by the break as they entertained Romford. Billy Harris started things off, Ashley Nzala doubled the advantage, and Martin Tuohy got number thre- all three goals coming in an eleven minute spell. Rovers climb to seventeenth.

AFC Sudbury, their cup heroics behind them, had to concentrate on the league- and they went ahead on eighteen minutes, Lewis O’Malley breaking the deadlock at Heybridge Swifts. Within hardly any time at all they’d added two more, Josh Stokes and Jake Clowsley making it three-nil, before Reece Harris made it four just before the break. Fourteen minutes from time Ethan Mayhew made it five, and the Yellows are up to third.

Tilbury have seen striker Roman Campbell hit form, and he had his fifth in five matches when breaking the deadlock against Hullbridge Sports, with Ola Ogunwamide making it two-nil just before the half time whistle. Ogunwamide made it three five minutes after the break, and the Dockers are up to eleventh whilst Sports are six points behind everyone else in last place.

Hashtag United and Bury Town couldn’t manage a goal between them.

Pitching In Isthmian South Central

Our first match of the day saw Guernsey entertain Westfield, and for the Green Lions Ross Allen seems back to his deadly best. He managed two goals in the first half making it six from six games, but the lead was cut just after the hour, Kai Hamilton-Olise scoring for the visitors, and Westfield made sure of a pleasant flight home when Samir Bajja got a late leveller.

Basingstoke Town knew that victory over Tooting & Mitcham Utd could see them climb to third, and after only two points from their last two matches- against the top two- they needed a victory. The Terrors haven’t yet managed to find any consistency this season, and came into this one with only one win from five, and they couldn’t have had a worse start, Simon Dunn opening the scoring for the hosts in the very first minute. The Terrors didn’t give up and equalised four minutes before the break through Dontai Stewart, but eight minutes after it George Reid restored the lead for the hosts. Yet again Stoke couldn’t hold out, Dean Hamlin equalising for the visitors, but goal number five went to the hosts shortly afterwards, Bradley Wilson firing home from the spot. That was the last one, and the hosts ended the night in third.

Eighteenth hosted thirteenth as Chalfont St Peter welcomed Sutton Common Rovers, and the Saints began marching in rather early on, Dawid Rogalski with two quick goals on eleven and fourteen minutes- his fourth and fifth of the campaign. Soon the marching stopped, however, Anh-War Tran-West and Connor French bringing the game level for Rovers, but it began again when Shamal Edwards got the fifth goal of the game to put the hosts ahead just after the restart. That turned out to be the last goal, and the Saints are up to seventeenth.

Bottom side Northwood welcomed a resurgent South Park, the Sparks reinforced with two new arrivals and with ten points from their last twelve- but it was a familiar name who put the visitors ahead, Ibrahim Jalloh with his seventh of the season on eleven minutes. A goal from the returning Charlie Pitcher made it two-nil on thirty minutes, and it was three before the break, Adam Aziz with his eleventh of the campaign. The next goal went to the hosts, Joakim Ehui giving Woods fans hope, but it was hope soon crushed as Matthew Faithorn made it four for the visitors seventeen minutes from time. Jalloh had time to make it five just before the end, and the Sparks climb to eighth.

Pitching In Isthmian South East

Gary Elphick’s first match as Hastings United boss saw leaders Cray Valley PM arrive at Pilot Field, and it saw the Millers get the first goal of the game, Francis Babalola opening the scoring five minutes after the break. The hosts were quickly level, Jack Dixon getting the equaliser to the relief of most of the one thousand and three in attendance, but right at the end the leaders struck again, Ade Adeyomo sending them three points clear at the top- twelve points ahead of United.

Hythe Town have strengthened their squad this week, but it was a more established name that opened the scoring at Haywards Heath Town, Charlie Webster finding the back of the Heath net on twenty five minutes. Heath had Tom Cadman dismissed after the break, the Cannons lost Nathan Gordon just before the end- but that was all they lost, as the points headed back to the Kent coast.

Ramsgate have been in fine form and got their first goal of our South East afternoon at Lancing, Ashley Miller opening the scoring after eight minutes. It took almost fifty minutes for another goal to arrive, but that also went to the Rams, and it also went to Miller- and although the hosts got a late goal through James Rhodes the equaliser didn’t follow. The Rams are fourth.

When you’re struggling, perhaps the last thing you want to see is Ashford United hove into view, but that’s what awaited Phoenix Sports today- and they were behind on eighteen minutes, Johan Ter Horst with the goal; the former Folkestone Invicta man with his fourth of the season. It was two before the half hour, Josh Wisson with that one, and any chance of a Sports comeback ended when George Whitelock saw red after the break. The Nuts and Bolts are three points off the top, in second place.

Sevenoaks Town welcomed Chichester City, and it was the green army who were celebrating after twenty six minutes as Callum Overton put the visitors ahead. It looked an uphill battle when the hosts saw Steve Smith dismissed before the break, but Town found the equaliser just before the end, Louis Collins earning a point.

Sittingbourne defeated Three Bridges on penalties in the Velocity Trophy in midweek after neither side had managed a goal, but after one hundred and forty five goalless minutes bwteeen the two we finally had one, Dan Perry opening the scoring for Bridges at Woodstock Park. Before the end we had another, Taylor Fisher equalising for the Brickies, which means that Bridges have now drawn eight of their thirteen matches.

Whitehawk saw the usual name on the scoresheet as Javaun Splatt opened the scoring against VCD Athletic- his eleventh of the season- but the visitors were soon level, Youssef Bamba with the equaliser. The winner came ten minutes from time, and- Splatt- it was three points and twelve goals.

Whitstable Town hosted Burgess Hill Town at the Belmont, and the Hillians got their noses in front on nineteen minutes, Lewis Taylor scoring from the spot. That was that, and the visitors are up to twelfth.

East Grinstead Town and Corinthian ended goalless.

By the way, we'll have many of the best bits from today's action on next week's Isthmian League Show, but the best bits of last week's action are on last week's Isthmian League Show, which you can watch below!

Follow the Pitching In Isthmian League on Instagram. Head here or search for theisthmianleague on your app. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.

Where next?

That's a Fowell! Jon Fowell takes over at Basildon
The Isthmian League Show- Episode Two Lots and lots of highlights, interviews, Jim Cooper as a special guest star, and our usual dynamic duo. Watch here!

The Pitching In Isthmian Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.